Welcome to the Crosby Scholars Senior Program! High school juniors who complete the requirements of the Junior Program, including attending a Mandatory Think Like A Senior Session, are eligible to become senior Crosby Scholars.
Scholars begin the Senior Program by meeting individually with a staff summer counselor at a Mandatory Senior Meeting during the summer prior to their senior year. A slide detailing this meeting is included in the powerpoint presentation from the Think Like A Senior Session, and a description is included on the list of senior program requirements posted in the Crosby Scholars Student Portal. Scholars who do not attend this meeting are dismissed from the Program.
As active participants in the Senior Program, scholars must comply with the Partnership Agreement and complete the Senior Program requirements. Scholars who complete the Senior Program receive a special designation on their transcript and in their graduation program. They are honored at the Senior Gala in the spring and given the opportunity to apply for Last Dollar Grant funding.
Click here to view Frequently Asked Questions about Selecting a Senior Advisor.
Click here to learn what is required of Seniors in the Class of 2019
Research the NCAA requirements for students wishing to play DI or DII collegiate sports.
For additional information on academies, please check your student portal.
Seniors are required to attend two Crosby Senior Academies (CSA), which are offered during the summer and throughout the school year. Topics range from preparing for the ACT and SAT to completing the FAFSA. Online registration is required through the Crosby Scholars Student Portal. Within a few days following an academy, seniors can check their Academy status through their Crosby Scholars Student Portal.
- Plan wisely in order to complete this requirement-- seniors are required to attend only two academies, so the Program does NOT offer a make-up session.
- To receive credit for attending an academy, scholars must: arrive on time, sign in, stay for the entire academy, and submit a confirmation of attendance at the end. Scholars who skip any of the steps to this process DO NOT receive academy credit.
- Seniors who have a question on the day of the academy outside of office hours may call the office cell phone at 336.782.7859
- Seniors who register for an academy but do not attend and do not cancel their registration prior to the event will jeopardize their status in the Program.
- Read the special instructions listed in the Crosby Scholars Student Portal on accessing a webinar academy.
- College Fair/Visit
College Fair/College Visit Requirement:
To fulfill the college fair/college visit requirement, Crosby Scholars must speak with four college admission reps about their respective schools. Students typically fulfill this requirement by attending one college fair and submitting a college fair form during their sophomore year, junior year, or senior year; however, juniors and seniors may fulfill this requirement by visiting four college campuses. Details are posted below and are outlined in the Crosby Scholars Student Portal. This requirement must be fulfilled by early October of your senior year. Submitting one college fair form or one college visit form is required to verify your presence.
The most popular way to fulfill this requirement is to attend the local college fair in Winston-Salem at the beginning of October.
Spring 2019 College Fair Options
2019 Charlotte National College Fair - Sunday, March 17th from 12:00-4:00pm -- Register HERE
2019 Raleigh National College Fair - Tuesday, March 19th from 4:30-7:30pm -- Register HERE
Click here to view and print the college visit form for juniors and seniors.
- Timelines for Success
The key to the college admission process is to stay organized. Seniors should maintain a calendar and follow the timelines below. Seniors will receive a monthly reminder in their student portal to follow the timeline. Each month beginning in August, we will post a timeline to guide you through the month's activities. This guide will help you to stay organized.
- Confirm your college enrollment plans, May 1st is the National College Decision Day
- Submit enrollment deposit, housing forms, med forms, etc. to the college at which you will enroll
- Notify all colleges at which you were admitted of your enrollment decision
- Reply to all requests from the college at which you will enroll
- Register to attend freshman orientation over the summer
- Meet with your Crosby Scholar Senior Advisor to complete your Final ------ by May 31st
- Read the May Issue of DestinationCollege2019 – review the list of Crosby Scholars Scholarship recipients
- Check e-mail account often
- Log in to your Crosby Scholars Student Portal often
- Request final transcript to be sent to college at which you will enroll
- Report final enrollment decision to the Crosby Scholars Program by entering your college name and ID number in your Crosby Scholars Student Portal
- Write thank you notes to those individuals who wrote you a letter of recommendation
- Write thank you notes to those scholarship committees who awarded you a scholarship
- Write a thank you letter to your high school counselor for all of his/her guidance
- Remember to thank all of your teachers
- Continue to review financial aid packages awarded by colleges to which you have been admitted (if you haven’t finalized your decision)
- Schedule an appointment with Crosby Scholars Financial Aid Coordinator, Ashly Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org), if you have questions about your financial aid or paying your bill
- Apply to the Fulton Carolina Medal Scholarship by May 5th, if eligible
- Apply to the Dean Smith Integrity Award by May 5th, if eligible
- Submit a Last Dollar Grant Application by May 15th
- If you are a Crosby Scholars scholarship recipient, follow the steps outlined in your recipients letter
- Follow up with Crosby Scholars staff regarding any outstanding issues or questions
- Last Dollar Grant
The Last Dollar Grant application and instructions on how to complete the application will be posted in your Crosby Scholars Student Portal in the spring. Read these instructions before starting your LDG application. The LDG application deadline is May 15.
The Crosby Scholars Last Dollar Grant is need-based financial aid. A scholar must apply for financial aid by submitting a FAFSA to be considered for a Last Dollar Grant. A scholar must demonstrate not only financial need but also remaining need after the school of choice has awarded aid. To determine the eligibility, the Crosby Scholars staff completes a need analysis form on each scholar individually.
Three supporting documents must be uploaded to the application. These documents include:
- a copy of the scholar’s letter of admission from the institution he/she will attend,
- a copy of the financial aid award letter from the institution he/she will attend, and
- a copy of pages 1 and 2 of the SAR- Student Aid Report
If the scholar does not have the three supporting documents by May 15, he/she must submit the application and then upload the supporting documents when they are received. Priority is given to those applications received prior to May 15.
Scholars are notified of our decision by letter posted in their Crosby Scholars Student Portal beginning in July. An award is made payable to the institution and is sent directly to the institution to be credited to the scholar's account. The first half of the award is mailed after August 1 and is to be used for the fall semester. The second half of the award is mailed upon receipt of the scholar’s fall semester grades and is to be used for the spring semester. You are responsible for submitting your grades at the end of each semester. You do not have to submit an official college transcript. Submitting a copy of your grades printed from your college account is acceptable provided it includes your cumulative GPA.
Crosby Scholars who complete the Program their senior year with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher are eligible to apply for a Last Dollar Grant for up to 4 years. Even if a Last Dollar Grant is not awarded the first year, the scholar may still reapply 3 times.
A scholar who does not graduate from high school with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, may apply once his/her college cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher.
Students must apply for Last Dollar Grant funding within two years of high school graduation. The Last Dollar Grant policy states that scholars are eligible for funding consideration for up to four years of undergraduate studies within six years after high school graduation.
- Community Service
Crosby Senior Newsletters
The Senior Program publishes a monthly newsletter called destinationcollege2019. It is published monthly for Crosby Scholars in the Class of 2019 to keep them informed of activities, deadlines, and announcements. Each newsletter offers appropriate advice and assistance for a specific month. In addition to being posted on this website and in the Crosby Scholars Student Portal, it is posted on the Crosby Scholars Program bulletin boards at the high schools (except HBI schools and UNCSA) and at the Career Center. The link to the newsletter is e-mailed to seniors, parents, and Senior Advisors.
destinationcollege2019 - May 2019 Issue
destinationcollege2019 - April 2019 Issue
destinationcollege2019 - March 2019 Issue
destinationcollege2019 -- February 2019 Issue
destinationcollege2019 -- January 2019 Issue
destinationcollege2019 -- December 2018 Issue
destinationcollege2019 - November 2018 Issue
destinationcollege2019 – October 2018 Issue
destinationcollege2019 – September 2018 Issue
destinationcollege2019 – August 2018 Issue
destinationcollege2019 – July 2018 Issue
Monthly Financial Aid Newsletters:
Smart Money Moves Newsletter – August 2018 Issue
Smart Money Moves Newsletter – September 2018 Issue
Smart Money Moves Newsletter - November 2018 Issue
Smart Money Moves Newsletter - December 2018 Issue
Smart Money Moves Newsletter - January 2019 Issue
Smart Money Moves Newsletter - February 2019 Issue
Smart Money Moves Newsletter - March 2019 Issue
Smart Money Moves Newsletter - April 2019 Issue
Smart Money Moves Newsletter - May 2019 Issue