Excelencia Program for Hispanic Middle School Girls
The Crosby Scholars Excelencia Program is to educate Hispanic girls and their families about the many opportunities that exist beyond middle and high school. Central to the program’s mission is encouraging students to begin thinking about college and possible careers. Participants will have an opportunity to meet successful Latina women from the Winston-Salem community and learn how they overcame barriers and achieved academic and career success.
- Help Hispanic Crosby Scholar Middle School girls understand the benefits of higher education.
- Reduce, with the goal of eliminating, school dropout rates of Hispanic girls.
- Work with students in the program “¡Soy Unica! ¡Soy Latina!” to help them understand who they are and enhance their self-esteem.
- Educate Hispanic Parents about educational requirements and opportunities for their middle and high school students.
- Educate parents/guardians/care givers about academic excellence, scholarships, high school graduation requirements and college enrollment criteria for North Carolina public colleges and universities.
- Assist with “Exitoral” workshops to help parents work collaboratively with their children and the school system.