Excelencia Program for Hispanic Middle School Girls
The Crosby Scholars Excelencia Program is to educate Hispanic girls and their families about the many opportunities that exist beyond middle and high school. We want to encourage the girls to begin thinking about college and possible careers. The girls will have an opportunity to meet successful Latina women from the Winston-Salem community and learn how they overcame barriers and achieved academic and career success. They will also be working on a curriculum called “Soy Unica! Soy Latina” that helps them discover who they are and help with their self-esteem.
- Help our Hispanic Crosby Scholar Middle School girls understand the benefits of a higher education.
- Lower or eliminate school dropout rates with Hispanic girls
- Work with the girls with the program “¡Soy Unica! ¡Soy Latina!” to help them understand who they are and enhance the girls’ self-esteem.
- Educate our Hispanic Parents about educational requirements and opportunities for their middle and high school girls.
- Educate parents/guardians/care givers about academic excellence, scholarships, high school graduation requirements and college enrollment criteria for North Carolina public colleges and universities.
- Work with the “Exitoral” workshops to help parents on how to work as a team with their children and school system.