Grade Advisor Program
Realizing that college preparation must begin early, Program staff assigns all high school scholars in grades 9 through 11 to a volunteer Crosby Scholars Grade Advisor.
Underclassmen scholars meet in groups monthly from December through May led by Grade Advisors . Each Grade Advisor hosts five meetings. Grade Advisors share positive personal, social, and educational experiences with their scholars. They help Crosby Scholars achieve their post-secondary goals by leading discussions on grade appropriate topics focused on preparing for the college admissions process. The topics of discussion build a foundation of knowledge that prepares the scholar for his or her senior year. Grade Advisor meetings are held after school on the high schools’ campuses. A handout is distributed at the first four meetings.
As meeting 5 is a celebration, there is no handout.
- The Grade Advisor Program was established to offer each underclassman Crosby Scholar the opportunity to meet with a volunteer advisor during the spring semester of each school year.
- Grade Advisor assignments are based on the scholar's grade and high school. Each scholar is notified by email when his/her Grade Advisor assignment has been confirmed.
- Grade Advisor meetings are group meetings and therefore are not rescheduled unless school is closed or after school activities are cancelled by the school.
- Topics discussed at Grade Advisor meetings prepare scholars for the college admissions process.
- Meetings begin in December (for juniors) and January (for sophomores and freshmen) with a kick-off pizza party and are held monthly. In April (for juniors) and May (for sophomores and freshmen) the Grade Advisor Program ends with an End-of-Year reception. Scholars are required to register online to attend meetings #1 (pizza party) and #5 (End-of-Year recepton) only. Online registration is not required to attend meetings #2, #3, and #4.
- Meetings are held after school, at school, and last approximately 30 to 40 minutes with the exception of EC, Paisly, and WSPA -- meetings at those schools are held during the school day.
- Attendance is taken at each meeting and is recorded in our office.
- To be excused from a meeting, a scholar is to stop by the meeting to pick up the handouts and to notify the advisor that he/she cannot attend the meeting. The handouts are posted on our website at the end of each month for those scholars who were unable to stop by the meeting to receive the handout.
- Meeting dates are posted and announced at the high schools in addition to being emailed to scholars. Meeting dates are also posted on the homepage of this website under Registration and Announcements.
- Scholars can check the Crosby board at their high school and listen to or read the announcements for meeting information.